- As Covid-19 has shown, governments in the future will have to accept a more active role in the economy. In this context, the regulatory framework for corporate governance will need to be adapted to support economic growth and encourage responsible business practices. A new report from Labour Business provides a route for how the Labour Party in office might begin to bring this about. It discusses reforms relating to shareholders, directors, and employees, as well as broader issues of regulation and enforcement.... >>
- Darren Jones MP in conversation with LabourList editor Sienna Rodgers... >>
Webinar with Shadow Chancellor Anneliese Dodds and invited speakers on Fairer Taxation for a Fairer Economic RecoveryWebinar Invitation Fairer Taxation for a Fairer Economic Recovery Day/Date: Thursday 9th July Time: 6pm Our keynote speakers are Shadow Chancellor Anneliese Dodds MP and Shadow Financial Secretary to the Treasury Dan Carden MP.... >>
- MEMBERS ONLY Darren Jones MP in conversation with LabourList Editor Sienna Rodgers Day/Date: Thursday 2nd July Time: 5pm Zoom webinar (registration link is in the emailer) This event is for members only... >>
- WEBINAR INVITATION Webinar with Ed Miliband MP, Liam Byrne MP and Cllr Lisa Trickett Mon 29 Jun 16:30-17:45 Building Back Better: A Recovery that must be Big, Just and Green Please join Labour Business and SERA for an online event to discuss a Green... >>
- There has been a lot of speculation over the last few days about the issue of 1m social distancing. This issue has become totemic, as the magic bullet that will fix the hospitality industry. That is incorrect and the issue is becoming a distraction from the real issues being faced by hospitality. The reality is that businesses and staff are being let down by a government that is still slow to test, track and trace.... >>
Labour Business members overwhelmingly reject ‘No Deal’ Brexit, seek close alignment with extended 2-year transition periodAs a follow up to our previous all-member survey on the economic impact of Coronavirus, in early April, we’ve just completed another all-member survey on how the pandemic has influenced views on a Brexit extension. The survey was conducted between 16 and 19 May. The results have been shared with the Leadership. In brief , our members believe the Government should apply for the longest possible extension (2 years) to the transition period to allow time to achieve the best possible deal for the country and allow time for businesses to adapt for the new trading relationship with their biggest market outside the UK. ... >>
- Labour Business Chair Hamish Sandison makes the health case for extending the Brexit transition, arguing that while there’s a strong economic argument for a Brexit delay, there is an even stronger health argument – not to stop Brexit but to concentrate on tackling the virus first.... >>
About Labour Business
Labour Business, formerly the Labour Finance and Industry Group, was founded by Harold Wilson in 1972. Today, it is one of the 22 socialist societies affiliated to the Labour Party. As such, it is the oldest, largest and only business membership group affiliated to the Labour Party.
Labour Business is the bridge between the Labour Party and the business community. It is a voice for the Party within the business community, and a voice for the business community within the Party.
Its mission is to bust the myth that the Tories are the party of business, and to establish Labour as the natural party of business by advocating a partnership between government, businesses and trade unions for a new and more sustainable kind of economic growth.
Our activities include business engagement, policy development, media outreach and member events. We work closely with the Labour Front Bench and Backbenchers in Parliament, with Labour City Mayors, with Labour Councillors and with Labour Party units nationally and regionally on business engagement and policy development. Our flagship initiative in 2017-18 is to secure the appointment of a Business Liaison Officer (BuLO) to work with the existing Trade Union Liaison Officer (TULO) in every CLP across the country. We have a federal structure which allows members to participate in our work both nationally and regionally.